Friday, October 23, 2015

moving day!






Today we are reunited with our stuff... dishes, furniture, warm clothes, tools, art and books. It's been an interesting and surprisingly comfortable 4 months living with what we consider little, but to others, could be considered a bevy of riches:  a warm, dry, safe apartment with stove, laundry, 2.5 bathrooms, more than adequate furniture and 3 tvs.   An embarrassment of riches, really, far too generous to be considered "roughing it."  We've managed just fine here in Linglestown and have enjoyed this small community that marks its ends with traffic circles- with a fine coffee shop, a wonderful consignment store and a few haircut places in-between.  We've biked and walked into town many times, struck up a friendship with the local garage owner and had some suds at the Eagle Hotel.  We liked Linglestown enough to search over and over for a house here.  But, Mechanicsburg it is.  A town that is more of a two-horse town, with its own quaint downtown, a few restaurants, a trio of churches (including our own St. Luke's) and one of the best Greek restaurants I've eaten at...ever.  We'll be on the outskirts of town, a few cornfields away, in a quiet neighborhood with some horses, some woods and mature trees.

I'm looking forward to seeing my books.  And my collection of art and framed pieces that we've amassed through the years. And my desk.  I'm looking forward to laying a fire in the fireplace and, come the spring, digging in the dirt. I can't wait to find just the right cabinets for the tea pot, the KitchenAid, my mom's silverware. I love that there's a proper workshop for my husband, a two-car garage (something new for us!) and a screened-in porch.  It's more than I could have imagined.  We met the (former) owners of our (new) house... and liked them a lot.  That makes me feel good.  We also like the people who bought our CT home.  That makes me feel good, too.  It's a precious thing, releasing and claiming new space.

Charles Henry Parkhurst, Presbyterian minister and social activist (1842-1933) wrote:  "Home interprets heaven. Home is heaven for beginners."  May it be so.




No comments:

Post a Comment